Jonathan says Nigerians should make sacrifices for Buhari to succeed

By
Advertisement


BusinessDay, Nigeria
By Elizabeth Archibong | BusinessDay, Nigeria
7 April 2015
President Goodluck Jonathan has urged Nigerians to go beyond their support for Gen. Muhammadu Buhari’s election by making sacrifices for the incoming administration to succeed.
Jonathan made the call on Sunday when the Christian community in FCT visited him at the Aso Rock Villa as part of activities marking the celebration of Easter.
“As a people, as a government, we should ask what sacrifice we are making. Now is not about supporting Jonathan or government.
“Now Buhari is coming on board; it is not about supporting Buhari or government, but what sacrifice as individuals we are willing to make for government and for the nation.
“If you are a businessman and you say you are supporting government, but you do not pay tax, how do you expect that government to survive?” Jonathan asked.
The president said that the development attained in advanced countries did not come from the blues, but through sacrifices made by the people.
The president said that nation-building depended on two key elements: the sacrifice of individuals and the patriotism of the citizens.
Jonathan described himself as one of the luckiest and happiest Nigerians.
This he attributed to his new found freedom as he said he had been caged for sixteen years in government and service to Nigerians.
“This Easter period coincides with when I’m leaving but I always say I’m one of the luckiest Nigerian, I am yet to see somebody that is luckier than me.
“From 1999, I have been in the hands of government for 16 good years. Not just being in government alone because if you are a senator or member of House of Representatives, you take care of yourself, and stay in your own house. I was being taken care of by government. From May 1999 to date, that is 16 good years. I think it is enough and I am happy. Please help me to thank God for that”.
The president said he will continue to thank Nigerians for the privilege and opportunity given to him to serve, adding that he “became deputy governor because Bayelsans voted for me and my governor then; I became VP because Nigerians voted for me and Yar’Adua.
“In 2011, Nigerians again voted for me and Arc. Namadi Sambo. I have to thank all Nigerians. Wherever I will be I have to thank all Nigerians”.
In his remarks, Vice President Namadi Sambo said he was lucky to have worked with the president, adding that he learnt much from his humility, sacrifice and commitment to nation building.
He said that the president had written his name in gold in Nigeria and Africa following the decision he took after the 2015 presidential polls.
The FCT chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Rev. Israel Akanji, who led the delegation, prayed for peace and progress of the country.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pages